The Morning Benders Change Their Name to POP ETC
Offer Fans a Mixtape For Their Troubles
Cultural misunderstandings. They’re a hoot right? Well, not when you’ve named your band after a potentially offensive one, as The Morning Benders’ Christopher Chu discovered. Today The Morning Benders announced they’ll be changing their name to POP ETC. Their reason? Discovering after a series of international tours, that “Bender” is slang in Europe for homosexual—and that, for a large chunk of their fans, they might as well be called “The Morning Fags.”
Explains Chu in a press release:
1. We simply cannot go on using a name that is demeaning to the gay community. The reason we are making music is to reach and unite as many different kinds of people as possible, and the idea that our name may be hateful towards anyone makes us sick.
2. In the UK and many parts of Europe the name has simply become too distracting. The MUSIC has always been our number one focus, and we want to present that to people in as pure a way as possible.
So there you have it, The Morning Benders are dead, long live POP ETC. Cheers to the band for taking the classy route. Be sure to grab POP ETC's new mixtape here.
- Watch: Bat For Lashes - “Sunday Love” Video (News) — Bat For Lashes
- Listen: Swans - “When Will I Return” (News) — Swans
- Four Tet Shares New Song with Impossibly Long Title in Honor of SoundCloud Milestone (News) — Four Tet
- Feist Covers The Tragically Hip’s “Flamenco” in Honor of Terminally Ill Frontman Gord Downie (News) — Feist, Gord Downie, Broken Social Scene, Kevin Drew, The Tragically Hip
- Watch/Listen: Garbage - “Even Though Our Love Is Doomed” Lyric Video (News) — Garbage