The Morning Benders Change Their Name to POP ETC
Offer Fans a Mixtape For Their Troubles
Cultural misunderstandings. They’re a hoot right? Well, not when you’ve named your band after a potentially offensive one, as The Morning Benders’ Christopher Chu discovered. Today The Morning Benders announced they’ll be changing their name to POP ETC. Their reason? Discovering after a series of international tours, that “Bender” is slang in Europe for homosexual—and that, for a large chunk of their fans, they might as well be called “The Morning Fags.”
Explains Chu in a press release:
1. We simply cannot go on using a name that is demeaning to the gay community. The reason we are making music is to reach and unite as many different kinds of people as possible, and the idea that our name may be hateful towards anyone makes us sick.
2. In the UK and many parts of Europe the name has simply become too distracting. The MUSIC has always been our number one focus, and we want to present that to people in as pure a way as possible.
So there you have it, The Morning Benders are dead, long live POP ETC. Cheers to the band for taking the classy route. Be sure to grab POP ETC's new mixtape here.
- Under the Radar Announces May/June 2016 Issue with M83 on the Cover (News) — M83, Julianna Barwick, Charles Bradley, John Carpenter, Cat’s Eyes, Caveman, DIIV, Fear of Men, Frightened Rabbit, The Joy Formidable, The Last Shadow Puppets, Minor Victories, Kevin Morby, Britta Phillips, Plants and Animals, Primal Scream, Underworld, Wild Nothing, Yeasayer, Lush, Parquet Courts, School of Seven Bells, Amber Arcades, Julien Baker, Big Thief, C Duncan, Charlie Hilton, Frankie Cosmos, Living Hour, LUH, Mass Gothic, Marlon Williams, Yak, Kristin Kontrol, Black Mountain, Chairlift, Starwalker, Sunflower Bean, TEEN
- Radiohead Releasing New Album This Sunday, Share Paul Thomas Anderson-directed “Daydreaming” Video (News) — Radiohead
- Watch Tegan and Sara and a Bunch of Sad Puppies in “100x” Video (News) — Tegan and Sara
- Radiohead Share New Teaser Video of Thom Yorke Wandering Around an Empty Building (News) — Radiohead
- Teens of Denial (Review) — Car Seat Headrest