The Morning Benders Change Their Name to POP ETC
Offer Fans a Mixtape For Their Troubles
Cultural misunderstandings. They’re a hoot right? Well, not when you’ve named your band after a potentially offensive one, as The Morning Benders’ Christopher Chu discovered. Today The Morning Benders announced they’ll be changing their name to POP ETC. Their reason? Discovering after a series of international tours, that “Bender” is slang in Europe for homosexual—and that, for a large chunk of their fans, they might as well be called “The Morning Fags.”
Explains Chu in a press release:
1. We simply cannot go on using a name that is demeaning to the gay community. The reason we are making music is to reach and unite as many different kinds of people as possible, and the idea that our name may be hateful towards anyone makes us sick.
2. In the UK and many parts of Europe the name has simply become too distracting. The MUSIC has always been our number one focus, and we want to present that to people in as pure a way as possible.
So there you have it, The Morning Benders are dead, long live POP ETC. Cheers to the band for taking the classy route. Be sure to grab POP ETC's new mixtape here.
- Listen: White Reaper - “The World’s Best American Band” (News) — White Reaper
- Feist Might Be Releasing a New Album in April and Singing on a New Broken Social Scene Album (News) — Broken Social Scene, Feist
- 2016 Artist Survey: Greta Morgan of Springtime Carnivore (Interview) — Artist Surveys 2016, Springtime Carnivore, Katy Goodman & Greta Morgan
- 2016 Artist Survey: Eric Pulido of Midlake and BNQT (Interview) — Midlake, Artist Surveys 2016, BNQT
- More Heroes of the Comics (Review) —